NAIS National Conference Newbie: Leadership's Greatest Challenge

Okay, I will admit it.  This is my first NAIS National Conference.  I didn't know what to expect as I made my way to Long Beach from Omaha, Nebraska.  I knew I was excited to get out of the cold weather and snow and was ecstatic that I didn't have to bring a stocking cap, gloves, and winter jacket.  Indeed, the sixty-something degree weather did not disappoint.

Today, I met with other educators from across the country as part of the NAIS Aspiring Heads Fellowship.  This fellowship program has existed for fifteen years but the format has evolved since its inception.  The purpose of this program is largely about "shifting your mindset" as you prepare for your first headship.  This fellowship is an opportunity to begin thinking like a head of school.  The head of school position is metaphorically much like that of an orchestra conductor.  There's a lot you have to manage and lead. You may not know how to play each instrument within the orchestra, but you must know how to direct, facilitate, and create harmony.  The head of school position brings many challenges - financial, cultural, academic, social, relationships and more!

One of the faculty members facilitating the fellowship talked about how leaders are often misunderstood.  Being misunderstood is one of the greatest challenges in leadership.  The head of school position is a busy role - you get pushed and pulled in many directions.  On any given day, you interact with a multitude of people within many constituent groups. Let's be honest - there are probably hundreds of opportunities in a given day to be misunderstood.  As my mindset shifted today, the challenges of leadership focused far less on the "what" but on the "how."  Our every action must be intentional. Our every action must consider the perspectives of others. To every action, there is a reaction. How we think, how we behave, how we interact, how we communicate - how we do all of this with intentionality and thoughtful purpose - this is the greatest challenge in leadership.

Day 1 of the conference did not disappoint and I look forward to day 2!

Comments